Womens’ Choral Society has been through a lot since it began in 1934. We will continue through this pandemic and come back stronger than ever. This is a temporary setback and not an end to WCS!
Our near-term goals:
- Keep the WCS community connected and musically learning
- Support our fabulous professionals, Greg Sojka and Vicki Brabham
- Keep moving forward and be ready to sing together
WCS will be offering weekly “virtual” musical sessions via Zoom technology with Greg Sojka and Vicki Brabham on Monday evenings starting September 14th to:
- Build your individual vocal skills,
- Improve your handling of tricky rhythms
- Practice hearing yourself to improve pitch
- Get better at reading musical symbols
- Participate with others in sing-a-long opportunities
Registration (online) will be open from August 24th to September 28th.
- JOIN US to improve your own musical and vocal abilities and to support our talented professionals.
- Here is our Fall 2020 term Calendar.
Women’s Choral Society is a non-auditioned performing choir of 100 women whose mission is to provide:
• Financial aid to music students at the UO School of Music and Dance
• Concert music of variety and quality
• Bonds of friendship and joy from working and singing together
Regular rehearsals are held every Monday from 7:00 – 9:00 PM in Room 163 of the University of Oregon music building. We do not require auditions. Enrollment opens for new members the first two rehearsals of each term.
Check out our CONCERTS page to access YouTubes.
A Brief History
Organized in 1934, the Women’s Choral Society (WCS) was chartered by the University of Oregon’s Mu Phi Epsilon alumnae. It was Eugene’s first all-women’s choir. For the past eighty years, WCS has performed for many pageants, conventions, and community events including several concerts with the Eugene Gleemen, the Eugene Symphony, and during the opening celebrations of the Hult Center.
Early in our history the family of our charter president and first accompanist established an endowment in her memory for scholarships to UO music students. Through the generosity and support of community patrons, it has grown and expanded to become the Maud and H.B. Densmore Scholarship Fund.
We are always proud to present our award winners at one of our concerts each year. Many of our recipients have gone on to performing arts competitions. It is our pleasure, with the assistance of those who continue to support our programs, to be a part of these students’ education and successes.